Algae References – Online sources
- Rocky Mountain Lake Algae - good photos, mountain habitats
- Easy identification of the most common Freshwater Algae (2006) by Sanet Janse van Vuuren et al - Based on South Africa but still surprisingly good source for here.
- Field guide to algae and other "scums" in ponds, lakes, streams and rivers - Good info on variety of relevant species with good photos for the Boone and Kenton County Conservation Districts, Burlington, KY and Campbell County Conserv District, Alexandria, KY.
- Freshwater Algae – Identification and use as Bioindicators (2010) by Bellinger and Sigee
- Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research - Plants, Animals & Fungi
- NIWA Taihoro Nukurangi Algae ID Guides